Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Russell Peters

was such a riot! intelligent racist jokes... now now... i know what you must be thinking... an intelligent racist joke is an oxymoron. but really... it can happen. you can make fun of a race intelligently. might not be tasteful (whether it is or not depends on your tastes...), but it can be intelligent.

the thing about comedians, especially good ones, are that they make fun of very common things. things which you see everyday, but never really paid any attention to. they notice these things, spin it around, exagerate slightly, take things that little bit out of context and then it becomes funny. same thing about intelligent racist jokes. you take something that commonly happens, play on the stereotypes and just exaggerate it slightly. it then becomes funny.

of course, good delivery is important. catching the comic time, reading the crowd, working on the crowd's responses and letting the laughter just naturally build up with nothing else but deliberate silence and purposeful stares and pacing, pushing it up to its crescendo and holding it there for just the right length of time.

Russell Peters might not be the most intelligent comedian (i still think that Eddie Izzard's jokes have more depth), but his show definitely made for a good fun night out. i had a good ab workout from all that laughing and i'm sure some of my wrinkles have further deepened from all the laughing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My students have been going around with the "do you want to eat" symbol. I told them that if any of them offered to feed me with that, "somebody gonna get hurt", and when they said that I was going to get in trouble, I said "yes, maybe I'll be in a bit of trouble, but somebody gonna get hurt real bad...."

This is what comes of teaching the class of jocks-- who've all passed their promos after lots of blood sweated all around. How's your side?

12:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm going to watch russell peters in NYC!!!

2:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UR ENGLISH GG

10:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

_|_

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home