Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Singapore Idol and Singaporean Politics

one of the reasons for the GRC system is the fear that people will vote along ethnic lines rather than considering the merit of the candidate.

however, this must definitely not be the case. Singapore has far fewer Malays than Chinese. yet, the last 2 Singapore Idols, which are selected purely by public voting, have been Malays. and both of them were indeed better contestants compared to their Chinese competitors. this surely means that Singaporeans do not vote along ethnic lines but consider the person's merit.

if that is really the case, then perhaps we can do away with the GRC system.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until you consider the fact that minority blocs paradoxically carry more weight in issues that they care about-- eg. note how the Republicans came to power in the last election. Then consider that more people care about Singapore Idol than the general elections...

10:26 PM

 
Blogger kristy~ said...

this thing sounds really familiar..
hmm...
i wonder where i heard/read about this..

11:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home