Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

I live, I hope

I wanted post the thoughts that arose from my MSN conversation with a friend. But as I started typing, the thoughts of that PSC scholar being persecuted because for expressing his private thoughts came to mind. And I realise that what I intend to write might be greatly misconstrued and I might get into trouble.

The long arms of the ISD are not to be trifled with. That coupled by the reactions that the public can have makes for effective censorship.

But as I typed the above preamble, I have decided that I should write what I initially wanted to.

In the conversation with my friend, the topic of my politcal inclination came up. And some how, that led to me wondering out loud about whether the best way of getting rid of poverty is actually to kill everyone who's poor. It's culling. Killing stray cats. If the people are too poor and their lives are nothing but constant suffering, and there is no practical solution, then why not just kill them and deliver them from suffering? Would it not be more humane? Or would we rather like to see these poor destitute people suffer, knowing that there really isn't much that we can do to help them? And it would make sense too. If these people are not able to contribute in a worthwhile manner to the economy, and are in fact dragging it down, then for their sakes, for our sakes, kill them. It's a win-win situation. Why not?

Most people would be shocked and appalled by this line of thinking. And while part of me agrees with this line of thinking (i am a practical person, a glorious product of our wonderful education system), there is another part of me which doesn't. The irrational part. My head reasons and agrees, my heart disagrees and aches. Why? Because I believe that there is hope. Hope that one day, we will be able to lift all out of poverty. Hope that one day, we will be able to create a world without suffering.

Hope, the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength and our greatest weakness.

I live, I hope. I am deluded and shall remain so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home