Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

RESPECT

First let me respond to Brandon's question of who my Muse is. She is actually not very interesting. But nonetheless, I think all of us know her, some better than others. Some times, once in a while, she drives us crazy. Her name is Boredom.

An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

But let us not talk about Boredom. I had an interesting conversation today with my friend, Aileen. And she was saying that I'd better be careful with all my reference to Mr Lee Kuan Yew (Bless his soul and may peace be upon his name) and my practice of adding (Bless his soul and may peace be upon his name). I don't see why adding the things in the () will get me into trouble. I add that because I truly believe that his soul should be blessed and peace should be upon his name. I respect that guy.

Then I was thinking out loud why I respect him. And I realised it's because of my NS and because NEXUS did a GREAT job. See right, my office, MCIOO, is next to the NEXUS office in CMPB. The NEXUS door is always open and they have some photos along the corridors leading into their office. and there is one that you can see from the door. and it so happens that when you walk out of the toilet, towards my office, you'll see into the NEXUS office and see this photo. it is the photo of Mr Lee Kuan Yew (Bless his soul and may peace by upon his name). you know... the photo of him with that pained, anguish look when Singapore separated from Malaysia. And everytime I come out of the toilet, I see this look on this great man. What must have been going through his mind? He was faced with a seemingly insurmountable challenge, a neigh impossible task of making Singapore work. He could have just said, "Ah, chuck it. This isn't my problem. I'm off to London to be a big successful lawyer". But he didn't. He felt responsible for his fellow citizens. He stayed. He fought. And if not for that, if not for him, Singapore would be an empty piece of land, probably overgrown with weeds.

Of course, we might not agree with some of the things that the man did. He himself openly admitted that he made some wrong decisions and that there were things that, in hindsight, he could have done differently. But hindsight is always twenty-twenty (or 6/6). Sure, this man had some failings. But he's only human. And put yourself in his position. Would you have done any better?

So yar. Don't you think that we should bless his soul and wish for peace upon his name?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home