Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Time Warp

JIS asked me to attend this event at the CC, saying that it was some performance by the CC's Cultural Troupe. so i went, thinking that i would treated to a wide array of cultural performances, reflecting the diversity of multicultural Singapore through the myriad aspects of various cultures.

BUT, when i got to the CC and stepped into the hall, I felt like I walked into a time warp, transporting me back to the 60's or 70's.

as usual, JIS asked me for my comments after the event and these were what i sent her:
  1. Chance to get together It was heartening to see people attending the event to support their friends. The function also served to let people who were into a very specific kind of entertainment have a chance to meet, chit chat, and generally relax together as a community.
  2. Definition of Culture From what I saw (I was late, only arriving at 9pm), it seems that the 'culture' that was displayed was rather restricted to Chinese pop songs from the 60's and 70's (with one or two from the 90's and new century) and line dancing (1 item) as opposed to the broader definition that the GOH spoke of in his speech.
  3. Age Profile of Audience The crowd predominantly middle age/senior citizen. Those who are not are either involved in running the show or the very young children of the middle age members of the audience. Also, I most, if not all, of the performers were middle aged/senior citizens.
  4. Racial Profile of Audience There was only 1 non-Chinese there: the maid of one couple, who was taking care of 2 little boys.
  5. Lack of Applause The audience was very very stingy with applause. There were points where they applauded only after much coercion from the emcees (who did quite a good job today).
  6. When to leave? The moment the number for the grand prize of the lucky draw was drawn, people immediately started up and left, even before the person holding the winning number went up to collect the prize. While I am sure the GOH would not mind such things, I thought it would have been more polite to leave only after the GOH leaves.
  7. A hidden star? Mr Chan, the new chairman of the Cultural Troupe, is a GREAT singer, far better than Taufik, Sylvester and Kelvin (the Project Superstar winner).

it was an interesting evening, even though it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

JIS then forwarded my comments to her husband. and informed me that i have been arrowed to do some stuff, advising me to brush up on my teochew and malay. which i don't mind doing... cos it sounds like fun. but i hope that her husband would help me with some survey for my assignment. would be interesting to get his opinions. we shall find out tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home