Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Night Watch

wasn't that great a show. but the book, i found wonderful. not least because it has nothing to do with the show.

the latter Night Watch i am talking about is a Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett. the themes in this one include honour, responsibility, justice woven into a world of politics and revolutions. i like the way Pratchett uses his stories to discuss these otherwise rather airy fairy notions.

interesting things from the book:
  1. when talking fails (which often does in the Discworld) you do what needs to be done and let your deeds do the talking.
  2. political ideals are often secondary to the smooth running of the economic machinery.
  3. the mob is stupid, easily manipulated and hence, if left on its own would tear itself apart.
  4. Sam Vimes makes me think of XH.
  5. Vetinari is way cool.

other interesting Discworld books i've read include:

  1. Small Gods (i think is my favourite)
  2. Thief of Time
  3. Going Postal
  4. Reaper Man

i probably would read more as i lay my hands on them...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take that as a compliment. I have been heard to consider Pratchett as my favourite philosopher, and Vimes as my second-favourite of his creations. As I said, I can bring in the the books for you to read, unless you were planning on simply buying them all up.

12:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home