Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Equality

some people think that everyone is equal.

i don't believe that. some are born richer, some poorer, some smarter, more well-nourished, some not.

some grow up to be more important, some less. some hold the key to curing diseases, some the secrets to the GUT, some end up only able to sweep the roads, traffick drugs.

considering these differences, can we say that a drug trafficker has an equal right to life than someone as saintly as Mother Theresa? can we say that a person who has robbed and raped should have equal right to freedom as someone who has abided by the law?

no. we cannot.

i do believe that everyone is worthy of respect (some are just more worthy of respect than others). i do believe that everyone has the ability to change. i do believe that a penniless teenager, working on the docks as a coolie can end up as a millionare, contributing immensely to society and posterity. i do believe that everyone is worthy of compassion (though how this compassion should be manifested depends). i do believe in second chances. i do believe that a hardened criminal who repents and goes on to help others is worthy of respect (lang4 zi3 hui2 tou2 jing1 bu4 huan4. guo4 er2 gai3, shan4 muo4 da4 yan1).

but none of these beliefs of mine contradict my belief that not people are just not equal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home