Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Exploiting and exploited

Tammy left this note:
"I think prostitution is in its own way a form of gender inequality. Sure , you see male prostitutes now and then, but the main bulk of them are females.To me prostitution makes women seem like objects for the sexual pleasure of guys. And ultimately contributes to the gender stereotypes of women being deemed as inferior to men."

i agree that prostitution is a form of gender inequality, but not in the favour of men, but in the favour of women.

as Tammy rightly pointed out, there are far fewer male prostitutes than there are female ones. this is probably reflective of the greater demand for female prostitutes compared to male prostitutes. as such, this means that it is more viable for women to earn money through prostitution than it is for men. does this not, practically speaking, give women, on the whole, an economic advantage over men?

not only that, this additional avenue of economic production is made possible because women are able to exploit men's innate weakness: our lust, our desire for the physical gratification of sexual intercourse. does this not mean that men, not women, are the exploited in the transactions of prostitution?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home