Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Monday, May 28, 2007

NPT

something i learnt at a course that i attended today.

NPT (the person conducting a course): what does a teacher do?

us: produce results, nurture students, care and concern...

NPT: yes yes... but not all teachers do all of those. but there is something that all teachers do.

us: ???

NPT: vomit blood.

NPT is still his usual self. but now... 10 years later, the context of our meeting is so much more different. 10 years. has it been that long?

definitely learnt a lot from him today (as i have 10 years ago). today was about coaching and his GROW ME model. he has an amazing way of engaging with the audience. something which i am trying to learn and develop.

there's something he said that struck me. something which i've known for a while, but not articulated. coaching is about 2 things, intrinsic motivation and relationship. it's a battle for the hearts and the minds. win the heart and you can easily take the mind. to win the heart, establish that precious, special relationship with the learner. then it'll be possible to evoke intrinsic motivaion in the learner. i think that that is exactly what i try to do, difficult as it may be. reason? cos i've seen the power of a positive coach-learner relationship (of course, i didn't know these terms then, when i first witnessed that relationship). it was over this weekend that i got the latest reminder of the power of such relationships. how it can touch people's hearts and impact their lives.

my job is difficult. there are things that i hate and dread to do. but it has its moments that keep me going. those moments where i see my students' eyes light up (like fresh fish as NPT puts it...).

my dear students, be like fresh fish, keep that sparkle in your eyes burning bright.

(note: NPT is not non-proliferation treaty... it's the name of someone whom i used to and always will call 老师)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home