Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Friday, February 24, 2006

What the FAQ

the question that most of my students most frequently ask me the first time they meet me is:
"Cher, how tall are you har?"
for those of you who are not familiar with the lingo of Singaporean students, 'cher' does not refer to the singer, Cher (pronounced 'Share'), it is the second half of 'teacher' and a reflection of linguistic laziness on the part of the students.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, when I was a relief teacher for a month, the students called me CHER too! initially,I didn't know they were calling me and i actually ignored them!!

It never happened back in my school..so I guess its the school culture...change them!!!

3:17 PM

 
Blogger rench00 said...

girl arh... never happened in your school cos your school very ang moh pai one... so they all speak the blardy Queen's English. of course won't call you 'cher' la... the school i'm teaching in now har... some of them is Hokkien first language one you know... don't pwray pwray arh...

2:39 AM

 
Blogger sereneannabelle said...

hah. which reminds me that during the younger years we even secretly called our Chinese teachers "Lao dhe" aka old pig (note: i totally have no idea how to spell the hokkien hanyupinyin of "pig"), in our feeble attempt to mimick short-tongued people.

heh.

10:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home