Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Resilience

there was a letter in the Today papers 2 days ago. this guy was saying that he wrote in and called the town council to fix the lift which was going a bit slow. and all he got was the usual, "we are looking into it" crap. that in itself was bad enough, he says. what was worse was that he got spammed. he got emails and SMSes from the CC, MP's new year greetings, etc.

now this person says that it is no wonder that Singaporeans are apathetic, disillusioned about offering feedback, etc. given that not only are their feedback not taken seriously they get spammed.

i agree that the behaviour of the town council described is really not up to standard and the MP should be utterly ashamed that his town council is so inept. in fact, i think that the MP, in allowing what has happened to happen, has not done a good job.

however, i think that anyone who gets discouraged from engaging the government simply because of not getting the response that one desires and being spammed should utterly be ashamed of oneself. it simply shows a lack of resilience.

if people like LKY, GKS had given up at their equivalence of the slight hurdle tha this person faced, then Singapore might probably still be a backwater, third world nation. if Ghandi had given up in his equivalence of that small bump that this person had, then India might still be a British colony. if Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King had given up just because they got their equivalent of spam and perfunctory responses, the blacks in America would probably still be second rate people.

could it be that Singaporeans are too sheltered and pampered that we demand instant results and if we don't, we give up? where is our resilience? it would be this lack of resilience on our part that would allow a corrupt government to continue being in power despite being corrupt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I don't talk, I'm not good with phone calls, but I have sent emails before about certain things.
(1) Due to the construction of the new MRT line, the traffic outside my old workplace was quite bad. The traffic lights would spoil quite often, and it was a busy road with many heavy vehicles zooming along it in a rush. The last straw came when I was forced to run across the road, and one truck driver had stopped his vehicle right over the pedestrian crossing and he laughed at me. I wrote in to the traffic police about the situation although I didn't mention the laughing. It took a very long time, but eventually the info got passed on to the LTA and to the relevant police officers and they repaired the traffic light and stepped up patrols.

(2) THere was a man selling charity coupons (whole sets) and he barged into the office during our work hours, ignoring both the prominent sign on the door and the secretary's statement that he was trespassing, and insisted on whining at my Chief Editor and me about the coupons. He left only after we had bought two sets. I wrote in to the relevant authorities and they said they'd look into it, but I'm not sure what they did.

Providing feedback does work at times, but I guess it requires patience.

12:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home