Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Sex(ism) and the Silly

watched Sex and the City.

i don't understand what gave Carrie the right to be upset with Big. it was clear that she was being a selfish bitch to want to have such a huge wedding. she buried the sanctity of marriage in a mire of ostentatious pomp. it was no wonder that Big started to have his doubts. if i were him, i would wonder whether she really wanted to marry me or just have a show of marrying me. she brought whatever humiliation she felt upon herself.

and then the rest of the show just went on to show how much Carrie suffered. and we are led to sympathise with Carrie. but what about Big? i'm sure he suffered a lot more. through that part (and it was a major part) the dominant thought in my mind was that Carrie is an idiot who deserved every shred of suffering she was going through and has no right to complain nor seek any form of repartriation from Big. in fact, if anything, she should be the one making up to Big.

the treatment of Miranda and Steve's problems was a lot more balanced, more real. it is conceivable that the mundane chores of everday life, working, looking after the kids, cooking, cleaning, washing, etc, dull the shine of romance in a marriage. and then both parties say and do something stupid and the marriage is on the rocks. that's when the relationship is tested. that was a lot more real.

and then there is the whole thing about all the clothes, shoes, bags. man... that's the reason why there are starving children in Africa. people who splurge precious resources on such frivolous things. perhaps it is because my upbringing makes me anathematically against such wanton consumerism. i mean... if you have enough, stop. the world is dying already. you don't need more of everything. and if you are that rich, buy a few sacks of rice and send it to Africa, Szechuan, anywhere with starving children. or give your money away to some organisation providing education for children or giving vocational training for young adults. eesh... the thought of it is making my skin crawl with disgust. grr...

3 Comments:

Blogger saltymiscreant said...

Beg pardon then, but i thought you weren't into chick flicks. I'll have to agree with you on the show though...I never put much into S&TC myself.

11:24 PM

 
Blogger rench00 said...

you're right. i'm not into chick flicks. but there are always exceptions due to extraneous circumstances.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger saltymiscreant said...

In this case then, I'd say this wasn't a gamble you should have made. But then again, all things said, you're the hardworking, hard living, hard-to-handle type, so...

12:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home