Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Where am I headed to? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea. A cynic, an idealist, a person with ideas, but NATO. Am I? I really don't know. RNFI. Really No F**king Idea.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Something more coherent... I hope

I realised that the last three posts were rather... incoherent (or as Jasmine puts it, cryptic). I shall attempt to write something of more value, more coherent this time round.

What shall I write about? Shall I follow Brandon and write some social commentaries? About the social injustices, the economic inequities, the political wrongs of our society? No. I do not think I know enough (have not been reading the newspapers regularly) to write about that.

Shall I then write about my life? Oh, but it is all so boring and monotonous. Go to work, go home. Eat, sleep. Nothing really interesting. Perhaps that is why I do not keep a diary. I really do not like coming up with a laundary list of the things that I have done in the day. I suppose I can try to be more descriptive, and go into details of the things that are more important, which affected me greatly, etc. but... I seem to have lost the ability to write proper, coherent prose.

Shall I then write about my thoughts about various issues? Philosophy perhaps? Or Physics? After all, I do have an MSc in Radiation Physics (with Medical Applications mind you...). So I should be able to write about such things right? Wrong. I have forgotten much of my Physics. Being a slave causes rapid cerebral atrophy.

I am stuck. I don't know what to write. I invariably return to this state of not knowing. My saving grace is that Socrates also did not know much. In fact, that is, accroding to Socrates himself, the reason why he is the wisest person in Greece (or so says the Oracle at Delphi). He knows that he does not know, whereas his contemporaries do not know, but they think that they do. Lao Tzu said something like that too. But I am sure I am not wise. I am just ignorant.

But ignorance is bliss is it not? It was knowledge that caused Adam and Eve to be cast out of the Garden of Eden. And so, if we want to go back to paradise (i.e. the garden of Eden), we should abandon our pursuit of knowledge. But that is weird though, for the greatest advances in Science in modern history took place in the predominantly Christian 'West'. What a contradiction then.

Life is like that, I supppose. Full of contradictions. I guess some things we will just never be able to understand. Or perhaps I do not understand simply because I am ignorant.

But hang on. Ignorance just mean not knowing. A person can have minimal knowledge but still have the capacity to understand things quickly. Comprehension and the ability to analyse is different from having knowledge. I suppose between the former and the latter, I would rather have the former. Knowledge is easier to gain than the ability to comprehend and analyse. But as Confucious says, knowing without thinking leads to confusion, thinking without knowing leads to death. So perhaps I should choose knowledge over the ability to comprehend and analyze. I am confused. :(

Sigh. I think I have (kind of) suceeded in being slightly more coherent and less cryptic than the previous 3 posts. My mind is a messy place. It shows on my disgusting face. Hahaha. Perhaps poetry next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home